Wow!  Lotta responses.

A CardBus card won't insert into the standard PCMCIA slot on the
1400. It was a design feature, to keep people from attempting to use
CardBus cards in the older slots.

The card physically fits fine in both 1400 and WS, so no probs there.

There are lots of Orinoco cards that don't work. According to Proxim,
the only one that the 7.2 driver will work on is the 8410-WD. There's
one on ebay, the same one I bought, which works great.

Boo! This one's Model 8421-WD. Guess I'll look for the 6.x version and see if I get lucky.

 Have you tried the Airport drivers, at least in the WallStreet, I
think you have to manually install the software on a 1400.

Tried AirPort on the WS under OS 9.2, still no joy.

Hi I think what might of happened is the person you got the card from
has been using it as an airport card.

I have an orinoco card that i use internally in a G4 tower (with a
little case mod) and with the updated firmware as an airport card in
a system running tiger. It is no longer seen as an 802.11b card in
any of my laptops but works fine in the tower. if you have access to
a g4 tower. with the side door down connect the card to the airport
slot and see if it is seen as an airport card when the mac is running
OSX, If the answer is yes then that is what it has been used for and
is no longer any-good for anything else but will work perfect and is
a-lot more stable than the real airport card's. also a very cheap
alternative. The case mod takes about 15mins with a hack saw and is
not seen from the outside at all.

Hmm... I'd heard something of that kinda mod. Don't know the history of the card - swapper I got it from picked it up at a flea market

Do you have any other ethernet cards for your 1400?  On the NuBus
class PowerBooks (5x0, 190, 5300, and 1400), sometimes the drivers
for other ethernet or wireless devices can conflict.  I experienced
this with the 7.2 drivers on my 5300 and the drivers for a PDS
video/ethernet card.

The 1400 has an internal ethernet expansion card installed, but no special drivers. No other PC cards/drivers at all.

As has already been said, it's sounding like you either have a faulty
card or one of the non-compatible variety.  I don't think you can
flash the card, though you might try a modification of Vicki's
suggestion.  If you've got a PowerBook or PowerMac with an AirPort
slot, put the card in that slot.  Boot into OS 9 with the AirPort
software already installed and see if the card is recognized as an
AirPort card (this shouldn't corrupt your card).

If it is, uninstall AirPort.  Then reinstall AirPort 2.0.4 with the
card inserted.  This "flashes" the card's firmware to 128-bit
encryption capability, and it might restore Mac functionality.  I
make no promises, though, so DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

What risks are we talking about here? Damage to the card, or possibly to the "host" Mac...? If all I'd be risking is the card, fine. Could something like this safely be tried in my friend's G4/800 iBook? Does it *need* to be done in OS 9, or will the same process work in OS X as well? More info/directions/suggestions about this, please.

Gene Osburn
Never swallow anything larger than your pride