Mel wrote:

>At the foundation of contemporary
>computer technology is the digital
>graphic communication< machine.

OK. But that is not an argument for HTML email. That's what a web page is for.

>Snail mail composed on a typewriter is virtually non-existent because
>such communication is merely verbal and the graphic encoding potential of
>the page is a missed opportunity to communicate more effectively.

No. Lack of graphics is NOT what killed the typewriter. The reason is
that (1) it takes too long to use a typewriter, (2) you don't have a copy
of what you've typed, (3) it's much too difficult to correct mistakes,
(4) there is no spell checker, (5) there is only one thing you can do
with a typewriter, (6) a letter costs $0.50 to send; email costs nothing,
(7) etc.

>For eMail, the ballooning data transfer over the net is due to mail
>attachments... and if we can attach images, why not go ahead and >show<
>them in the composition window (instead of just listing them).

A much better solution is to provide a link in the email message. If the
recipient doesn't care to see or save the images, she merely deletes the
message. Attaching HTML/images delays communication; it does not enhance
it, because a single click will show everything anyway.

In short, a simple link trumps HTML display every time.

RH