you might have some corrupted preference file, I do not know. did you try
holding down the option key while starting PM to get into the first aid
dialog box? if you can't even get that far, I'd do a search on your drive
for CTM and for PowerMail and delete any trace - except the .zip archive
file you've made before and the PM key. then re-download and re-install.

good luck,
---marlyse

------------ former message(s) quotes: -------------

>Marlyse, I made the archive, never used that command before, and it was easy.
>
>But reinstalling PM5 from a new download (deleting old PM folders and
>moving file from the disk image to applications folder) didn't work --
>I'm still getting "application unexpectedly quit" errors. I also ran Disk
>Utility and repaired permissions, but that didn't help. It's not a
>problem with the PM5 key is it? That's in the prefs file.
>
>--
>Nancy Creighton
>Purple Swirl Arts
>web and graphic design - http://www.hypertracker.com/go/purpleswirl/