On 22 11 2004 at 2:09 pm -0500, Dr Dave wrote:

>It's my understanding that Carbon apps are not able to take advantage of
>OSX multithreading, long filenames, better performance, and other nifty
>features that OSX has to offer. I'm told that Cocoa apps can do a lot
>better in this regard.

A bunch of Cocoa is simply ObjC wrapper for Carbon routines.  There are
also things that can be done only with Carbon that have no direct Cocoa
analogs.

>And there is also the factor of planned obsolesce. Carbon apps may not be
>supported by OSX much longer, and so far, Cocoa is still Apple's favorite.

There is no basis for this statement.  The Finder continues to be a
Carbon application; neither is iTunes a Cocoa-based application.

It is a hallmark of a non-developer to proclaim that Cocoa is somehow
generally "better" than Carbon.  They are different frameworks, not
competing ones.

-ben

--
Ben Kennedy, chief magician