Hello,

Since upgrading to PowerMail 5.x (including 5.1b3) I have had major
instability problems running under OS 10.2.6 and 10.2.8.  Stability issues
include unexpected quitting, frequent Sort and Search Index corruption,
and unreasonable rebuild times for the Sort Index.

Currently I am most of the way through my third 16 hour Sort Index rebuild
in one week.  You heard me correctly... 16 hours on a G4 400MHz system
with no other major applications running.  And my email database is
reasonably sized at only 450mb or so, which makes me question the
effeciency of the rebuild process.  Disk space can't be the issue since
I've always had at least 500mb of hard disk space available, usually
1.2GB, and today's crash and subsequent 16 hour rebuild was with 5.5GB
available.

The corruption happens when either one of two events happens:

1.  Runtime crash (usually is not harmful), usually while PowerMail is
starting to check for new messages.

2.  Unrelated system crash or sudden shutdown due to loss of power (always
causes Sort Index corruption).

I am at the end of my patience with this problem.  I run my business from
my email client and I can not afford to be 3 days out of 7 without access
to it.  Although I have been with PowerMail for almost 4 years now, if I
can't get this issue resolved in some way before my next major mishap...
I'll be forced to move to Apple's Mail program.  And I would HATE that.
The choice between a less featured but funcational program and a better
featured and dysfunctional one is a no brainer.

Any suggestions?

Steve