Brian Jacobs / 04.7.29 / 5:54PM wrote:

>You mean by doing a Reply to Sender.

He meant Mail menu -> Text Encoding.

>In Preferences/Character Sets, Chinese has 7 options and Japanese 4.
>If the setting is for example Big 5 (Chinese) and ISO-2022 (Japanese),

You mean ISO-2022-JP.  The common Chinese is ISO-2022-CN, and Big5 is not
common outside of Taiwan if I remember correctly.  And Big5 is 8 bit, is
it not?  That would be a problem.

>which are probably the most popular, and you are sent messages in a different
>character set is there anything you can do about it if the characters
>remain as
>gobbledy gook (unreadable) even after your best efforts at conversion.

Finding problem is not easy.  You must look at the source.  Most of the
times, the escape sequence is dropped or damaged.  If the sender is using
the shift bit (I think Big5 uses shift bit), and the mail server's
threshold is set to 7-bit then there will be no way of reconstructing the
message.  DOA.  Lotus Note used to do this.  Unless you pay for I18N
version, they will drop the shift bit.  Ack!  So the only solution is, as
you said, have sender make a text attachment.

--

- Hiro

[PROTECTED]
<[PROTECTED]> <[PROTECTED]>