Hi Judy,

We often receive emails written in Japanese and are afflicted with
the same type of problem.  The Japanese text is received as a series
of question marks '?' but a Reply to reveals the full text content.  This
happens on our Mac running OS9 running PM 4.2.1.  If I receive emails
from the same source, that is cc'ed to me, on Mac running 10.3.4 and
PM 4.2.1 the Japanese text is fine.

Maybe I should investigate the network setups and PM preferences on
these two Macs.

Brian Jacobs