As far as I remember, IMAP is pretty much on itself. The folders and the
messages do not obey to the rules. I think that is because they
technically do not reside on your Mac, but on the server.

I only dabble with IMAP with my .Mac account, but always revert it to POP
with leaving the messages on the server for 10 days. Best of both worlds
for me.

--
Mirko Kranenburg
Maastricht, Netherlands