Dragging a folder full of messages to the Desktop has many drawbacks.
First, your new document has to include EVERY message in the folder. What
if you want to select only certain messages? What if you want to save
only a single thread? What if you want no header information except Date:
and Sender:?

Saving PowerMail messages as plain text -- even custom text -- has a long
and illustrious history. It begins with Apple's wonderful Claris eMailer.
David Cortright at Claris wrote the first AppleScript to do this. With
only minor modification, it worked on PowerMail right out of the box when
PowerMail first shipped (thanks to PowerMail's eMailer roots).

Unfortunately, many of the scripts run only on OS 9, because they require
a certain scripting addition (Tanaka's OSAX). They could be found at the
old http://www.hells-half-acre.com/powermail/, which apparently doesn't
exist anymore.

During PowerMail's early days,  Japanese user Kuribo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote an improved version specifically for
PowerMail. That one's not available online anymore, but you can find a
newer, more sophisticated version at

http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/powermail.html

The difference is that it does not save a file; it opens the selected
messages directly in your favorite word processor--as one document.
That's why it's named "Open With TextEditer". Also, take a look at W.
Eric Tyson's "Convert to XML", which is easily convertible.

Based on the work of others, I have made my own custom AppleScript to
open the messages I have selected in a new document in OS X's TextEdit
and in my favorite word processor Nisus Writer Express.

Why NWX? It has a macro menu into which you can place your own
AppleScripts, Perl scripts and native Nisus Writer macro scripts. With
that combo, you can write an AppleScript that will not only copy your
selected messages into new text, but automatically massage that text into
perfect a perfect document. That is to say, stripped of all garbage found
in messages on popular lists, with nicely formed paragraphs stripped of
all but single blank lines. All with one click.

Richard Hart