>>Has anyone been able to successfully configure Netscape 7.1 or Safari 1.2
>>to use PowerMail 4 as the mailto App?
>>
>>If anyone knows the config procedure, I'd appreciate it if they would
>>share it.

This was in my archives (don't recall what's important, so here's the
whole thing):

Chris
--

>Please, would someone re-post the instructions for configuring
>Netscape to select PowerMail when sending e-mail from that web
>browser?

I think the following covers what was recently discussed on getting
Mozilla to go to PowerMail (and not vice versa).

"Mozilla and Powermail" thread:

from Thomas Mueller-Hotop:
-----
  for OS 9.1:

  Go to "Applications -> Mozilla Folder -> defaults -> pref "
  and open the doc "all.js" with BBEdit and fill in

  <pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);>

  without "<>" on the respective place.

  After then Mozilla should open the Mail-Client you selected
  in the "Internet" Control Panel.

  On my system it works fine with Entourage (I'm very new with
  PowerMail and new on the list, too).

  I got this idea from the German "MacWelt" 02/03, page 134.
-----

from Sam:
-----
  As far as mailto URLs from within Mozilla... thanks
  for the tip.  The workaround I found was to create a
  user.js file in the same folder where all.js is
  located.

  The user.js file contains the following line:

  user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto",
  true);
-----

from Tom Gally:
-----
  For the now-moot issue of how to click on a "mailto" link in
  Mozilla and get it to open a new e-mail message addressed to
  that address in PM, Thomas Mueller-Hotop wrote:

>  >for OS 9.1:
>  >
>  >Go to "Applications -> Mozilla Folder -> defaults -> pref "
>  >and open the doc "all.js" with BBEdit and fill in
>  >
>  ><pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);>
>  >
>  >without "<>" on the respective place.
>  >
>  >After then Mozilla should open the Mail-Client you selected
>  >in the "Internet" Control Panel.

  I tried the same thing in OS 10.2.3, and it worked. Many thanks
  for the hint.

  On my system, the "all.js" file is in a different location
  (Home > Library > Mozilla > Profiles > [username] > [a folder
  with a seemingly random name]).

  I added the following line to the file:

     user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);

  because all the other lines began "user_pref", not "pref". I put
  this line in its proper alphabetical location in the file, though
  I don't know if that was necessary or not.

-----(note he made the following correction to the above...)

>  >On my system, the "all.js" file ...

  The name of the file that I modified was "prefs.js", not "all.js".
  Sorry for the confusion.
-----