As far as I can tell PM does indeed continue to check mail in user
account 'A' even whilst fast-switched to user account 'B'. I have a 2nd
account on my machine for my girlfriend to use and often when she's
logged into her side of things I hear PM chime to alert me to new mail on
my side (she uses web-based email, so I know that the chime isn't coming
from her user account).

Useful!
Rick

--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.3.1  ::  PM 4.2.1  ::  3 pane mode