On Sat, Sep 06, 2003, Mikael Byström [EMAIL PROTECTED], invoked
powers within the internet realm, to proclaim ...

>cheshirekat, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>
>>All my messages come dated, and I can sort them and search for specific
>>ones.
>
>Does this mean you don't have any of your own named folders, no automated
>sorting filters as you can "sort them and search for specific ones"
>yourself? You keep all messages in the inbox?
>I tested to search for messages that came in after yesterday and while
>finding 206 messages out of like 75 000 took only 18 seconds in PM 4.2
>(great stuff of course), opening the Recent Mail Window took a mere 3
>seconds on my Powerbook G3. That could be one reason I feeel as I do.
>
>Of course, if CTM could make *searches* saveable under a name and have
>them run whenever we'd like, then your approach could be very useful, so
>your general method with searching is not without merit of course. but as
>you know it's not working like that today.
>
>>I don't see the point of needing the mail retained in recent messages.
>Check my other post for a couple of points.
>
>To test your expressed viewpoint: would you prefer that CTM Dev impose a
>"recent" standard upon the user so that messages be removed automatically
>after a set timeframe in order to keep the RMW truly "recent"? Perhaps
>even between mail checks, Giving users that check mail every 2 minutes a
>very "truly recent" Recent Mail Window indeed. But perhaps that wasn't
>the objective, but real usefulness was.

Yes. I do have greater than 100 filters and 55 message folders. All
messages that aren't filtered in up in the trash. I only have a couple
dozen messages in my In Tray. All my message folders are set to display
by date, which is the method I use to search for "recent" messages - by
glancing at the top messages. With numerous message folders, I feel they
are organized enough to allow me to expend little effort looking for
something "recent" because I delete generously - anything else is
something I might want to refer back to.

I delete liberally because I don't see the point of archiving all the
messages I receive. Messages from mailing lists I especially delete the
majority of them. (I don't see the point of saving an entire thread when
only one or two messages in a thread I think will be referred to. Like
yesterday, I got messages that gave advice but all the text referring to
the problem/concern had been deleted, so there was no point keeping the
message or the reply that followed that also didn't mention what the
suggestion referred to.)

Yes, I'm sure I would use a "saved search" feature if available.

For myself, I don't currently "prefer" anything for the recent messages.
As I said above - my idea of recent refers to the date. On any given day,
I will check ALL incoming messages, move them to a new folder, if
relevant and keepable, or delete them. If I want to look at something
that recently came in, I go to the specific folder and look at the top
messages listed because they are (to me) the most recent. Anything that
doesn't sort to the top by date, I don't consider recent and will search
for. I don't store messages in the In Tray and use it mostly for working
with and testing AppleScripts. I've read this thread because I thought
maybe there was something useful about the recent items others are
discussing, but I just don't see it. Sorting by date works for me,
sorting by topic, and searches work for me when I'm looking for
something. I also mark messages by using the labels.

I've always found it fascinating the different methods people use for
managing their mail. We used to have very similar discussions with
Emailer. Sometimes, methods don't seem useful to me, but down the road
they might be, because I've noticed that my email handling doesn't remain
the same and I adapt to a new routine or make temporary changes in my
routine. Like, when I'm a day or two behind on checking messages for some
mailing lists, I use the "View Options" extensively so I can stay focused
on the topic of discussion. But I haven't used it for over a week. That's
another reason I don't like the recent items; it just makes me feel too
scattered reading through totally unrelated messages.

I am keeping the "recent items" in mind a lot lately because I never can
tell if it might be more useful "some day" than it appears today.

--
Sleep after toil, port after stormy seas, ease after war, death after
life does greatly please. -Edmund Spenser, poet (1552-1599)

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.6 * 768 MB Ram *
* Addictions: iTunes 4 * WarCraft * The Sims *