On 6/12/03, at 7:42 PM, Jefferis Peterson wrote:

>I am really struggling here. I want to leave EntourageX behind since it
>appears to be unstable for me, but I rely on it's address book so
>completely, that I don't know what to do. I have business emails, groups,
>and phone numbers and addresses [categorized by labels, i.e., business,
>family, clients, friends, religious interests, etc.] in my Entourage
>database. I think its export options for creating phonebooks and limited
>exports are terrible, but I think I'm addicted.
>
>I am testing Now Contact and have imported my addresses there [without
>category labels :-(   ]   But I don't have a strategy for integrating
>business needs for contacts with email [which is the major contact format],
>and PM's address book is very limited [not even phone numbers].  My work
>flow is usually, receive an email. If I need to contact them, doubleclick on
>their email address. It opens their address book entry with phone, address,
>etc. Can't do that with PM.
>
>Has anyone created a really good alternative that works for them?

I too was using Entourage but left only b/c of stories from others that
they would lose the entire database and emails.  I am using Now Contact
along with PowerMail.  There are some issues.  One is that if you want to
send an email to several people at once, you cannot do that from Now
Contact into PM b/c PM will only take the first contact and put it in the
"To" field.  However, if I'm sending to only one person at a time, it
works fine.  Groups can be set up as an alternative.  With Now Contact
there are Categories and unlimited keywords.  Searching is lightning
fast.  I did a sync of my Entourage contacts into Now Contact so
everything was carried over.  Everything is not as integrated as it was
with Entourage and Word but it's a small price to pay for stability.

With Now Contact I just double click on a contact and it opens up the
file with name, address, phone, email, etc.  I click on the email and PM
opens up with their name and email address.  I find it quite simple.
Plus it will log the type of correspondence sent.

The other alternative is to set up a FileMaker Pro database (instead of
Now Contact).

The PowerMail address book is the OS X address book and you can put in
phone numbers.

Is PM perfect?  No.  But neither is Entourage or any other program.  I
switched a few months ago.

Fred

--
667 TiBook G4