Received from: Daniel Ross
At: 9:17 pm (GMT) on Mon, Mar 24, 2003

>Opps! I found that somehow I had changed a condition on a filter. It was
>my fault. The window comes up because I had somehow changed an "Action"
>in a filter to "execute script" and the script was "delete immediately."
>Sorry.

This raises a point of general safety; If you have a filter set to run an
applescript and then that applescript is then removed from the scripts
folder (perhaps because it was a 3rd party one) then the filter, not
finding the script it is looking for, will default to the first
applescript in the list, sorted alphanumerically. Unfortunately, under a
basic installation, this is Delete Message Immediately, and so it is
possible that by removing one applescript from your setup, one or more
filters could get changed to delete mail irrevocably, without you
necessarily being aware of it. This is obviously not ideal, and the best
option to prevent it is to simply rename the "Delete..." script so that it
is no longer first in the list. (I renamed mine to be "X-Delete message
immediately"). Under a standard installation, the first script in the
list will then be "Delete v-card attachments", which is much less
dangerous should it accidentally get selected as described above.

Cheers
Rick

G4/500 MHz (DP)  ::  OS 10.2.4  ::  PM 4.1.2  ::  3 pane mode  ::  768 MB RAM
<www.sharkattack.co.uk>