I would guess a permissions issue. (?)
You *could* install a fresh copy, make a new user and compare those
permissions to what you have on the old PowerMail folder / files.

We had a similar issue when we tried putting the "PowerMail Files" on
a server. We had to correct the folder & file permissions to get it
to work. (It's still a little buggy with attachment permissions - but
at least it get backed up every night now)

Good Luck,
Justin