if the "check first to authenticate and then get mail" is getting old
for you, you can add a setting in your account information which will
then authenticate automatically when sending. For this to happen go to
the menubar - setup - account settings - select the email account -
select the SENDING tab - enable the AUTHENTICATE AS USER checkbox -
enter your user name and password. This now will send this data each
time when you send email.

If you look at the RECEIVING tab you will see that you have your user
name and password in there and that is what is being sent to the server
when you check email and that is how the server knows it's you checking
your account. Usually when you check your email the server will have a
time window open after authenticating and for this reason it appears
that you first have to check email before you can send. Entering your
authentication data into the sending tab will solve this.

In regards to the @ in usernames - no, PowerMail has no problem with
that. I also check regulary my Gmail account and other accounts which
use the @ in the address without difficulties.

The password requested is the password you use to get email from Gmail.

My Gmail account setup looks as follows:

IDENTITY tab :
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
real name : Marlyse Comte
SAVE passwords in Mac OS key chain ENABLED

RECEIVING tab:
protocol ; POP3
ID : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Incoming mail server : pop.gmail.com
SAVE password ENABLED and my email password
USE secure connection ENABLED on PORT 995 ENABLED
On a dedicated secure port SELECTED

SENDING tab:
Outgoing SMTP server : smtp.gmail.com
AUTHENTICATE as user ENABLED (again, my gmail email address)
PASSWORD : same as above
USE secure connecton SSL/TLS on PORT 465 is again ENABLED
On a dedicated secure port SELECTED

Please NOTE :

INCOMING PORT is 995 (for checking email)
OUTGOING PORT is 465 (for sending email)

That might be your problem right there.

Good luck and let us know if it worked!

---marlyse

------------ former message(s) quotes: -------------