On 17/10/07 (23:00) Mikael said:

>That's a known bug, but I don't remember which app is responsible for
>not playing nice with the other. One clue is that I don't have this
>problem with another backup application. So I wouldn't blame Powermail
>for this particular bug necessarily, at least not outside of use with
>Retrospect.
>
>Mikael

IIRC, the standard best-practice advice is to quit PM before doing a
backup; not because of any particular bugs in any particular software,
but because it is deemed 'best' to  close down a database of any sort
before backing up or copying it.

I find this to be something of a problem, because I want to do regular
backups, but I *don't* want to regularly shut down PM -- due to the
clearing of the Recent Mail Window. (My person soapbox that one, I know,
but it's a substantial problem for me).

I have considered simply preventing any receive or send operations (and
not performing any other actions in PM) for the duration of a backup,
but leaving PM running... but I'm nervous about doing so on account of
the best-practice advice noted above.

What do other list members think about this? Would I be likely to f**k
up my database doing backups this way? (Backups are made to external
drive using SuperDuper, btw).

Thanks in advance;
--
G5 2GHz x2  ::  2GB RAM  ::  10.4.9  ::  PM 5.5.2  ::  3 pane mode