I'm sorry Matthias, but what does the "From" header have to do with an
empty subject header?

Let me restate this. I have a friend who uses aol (ugh!). Her emails
come with the header:
    From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
If I open one of these emails up in a PowerMail window, the "From:" field has
    Elaine XXXXXstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
However, if I look at my inbox, the From column has only her email and
not her name, and if I search on From: Elaine, these emails are not found.

However, she used to work at a school, and emails sent from there had
    From: "XXXXXstone, Elaine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

and a search on From: Elaine does find these emails.

Is this clear?

To be clear, the reason I use PowerMail is because it allows me to find
specific emails quickly in a sea of communications. The fact that I
cannot find emails by name of the person sent to me (the case above),
and that I cannot find html-only emails makes it much less useful, and
has made me consider using a different program.