I think the idea of one file per folder is an interesting compromise.

The current single large database concept doesn't work anymore. It's bad
for the power users with 2 gig of messages - but it's also very bad for
people using Time Machine style backups. My Time Machine backup probably
is running 30 minutes out of every hour - and it's all due to Powermail.
This constant activity slows down my system and the network - the
opposite of the intent of PowerMail to be an efficient solution.