On 4/20/15, at 10:55 AM, PowerMail Engineering jer...@ctmdev.com said:

>Oh, if you opened a message found by Spotlight then yes, this could make
>FoxTrot switch to the user environment to which this message belongs.
>So, if Spotlight found a message on your backup drive, and you opened
>this message, then PowerMail would close its current database and switch
>to your backup database.

I think I tried clicking on older databases, but that didn't help.  I believe I
only opened the spreadsheet I was looking for and not the message that brought
it. Also, the message that brought it would also be in the newest database,
right?

There have been other times when some of the PM message folders that messages
are filtered to or that I have dragged messages to have disappeared -- also
just messages in the In Tray. I never figured out what happened, and usually
was able to get things back to normal without the loss of too many messages.
PM has been running fine now for many months.

This time I was looking for a spreadsheet that was e-mailed to me, but I wasn't
certain if it was still in PM's Attachment folder or somewhere else on my hard
drive.  That's why I ran Spotlight. Soon after that some of my PM message
folders disappeared, recent messages disappeared and messages from 2013 and
earlier showed as unread.  10.10.3 had been running for days, and there was a
small update to it that I had recently done.

I dragged the PM folder from a clone of my hard drive, but that didn't help
any.  I did find it VERY odd that when I started up from the HD clone that was
5 or 6 days old, messages from 2 or 3 days ago were already in folders that I
would have dragged them to.  Yes, I know PM on the clone would download
messages it hadn't received yet, but how did they get to those folders???

I only use PM on my iMac, and only occasionally use Mail on my MacBook Air --
PM is what I depend on.  I can use other browsers than Safari, but PM is what I
rely on for messages -- and other things like checking my Lotto numbers.

Wanting to get things right quickly, I SuperDupered the clone back to my iMac.
Too much of a hurry, and my 2014 taxes that I already had filed got deleted --
will have to re-create, I guess.  What a dummy!!!!

All I can figure is that Spotlight caused the problem.  Maybe I contributed to
the problem by keeping almost everything related to PM in one folder -- old
copies of the Address Database, old copies of the Message Database and so
forth. I had compacted the database within the last month.

Tom Miller
"The only time we see the middle of the road is as
we run from side to side." R.O.Clark