Good benchmarking question. Thanks for posting it. Below is TVA- Sequoyah's
answer, and a little more as I couldn't resist.

From: Powernet <powernet-boun...@hpspowernet.org> On Behalf Of Dave Raye via
Powernet
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:41 PM
To: 'powernet@hpspowernet.org' <powernet@hpspowernet.org>
Cc: Dave Raye <dar...@aep.com>
Subject: [Powernet] Quick Initial DLR Issue & DLR Exchange survey

TVA External Message. Please use caution when opening.
Hello all,
I have seen in a recent, related inquiry that a number of sites have an
"Clerk/Admin" as their Dosimetry Resource, as does DC Cook.  Acknowledging that
"Issuing DLRs to workers" or "Performing Routine DLR Exchanges" are not tasks
contained in ACAD 93-008, I'd appreciate your response to this quick survey:

Do you have an Admin resource and/or RP/HP Tech in Dosimetry? RP Technician (2
assigned) at the Sequoyah and Watts Bar sites; Browns Ferry has in addition a
Health Physicist also assigned to Dosimetry.

Do you have a qualification similar to, "Perform initial issue of DLRs to
workers" (this does not include special/extremity dosimeters)? Yes, we have a
specific qualification that is similar, RPQ006.020 Issue Primary Dosimetry

Do you have a qualification similar to, "Prepare for/perform routine DLR
Exchange"?   No, we do not have a qualification for DLR exchange.

Here is a list of the Dosimetry qualifications:
RPQ006.020 Issue Primary Dosimetry
RPQ006.290 WBC Required Checks
RPQ006.300 Operate WBC
RPQ006.330 Request Bioassay sample
RPQ006.500 Issue Special Dosimetry
RPQ006.700 Process Exposure History Forms
RPQ006.770 Use of OSL Dosimetry reader
RPQ012.140 Perform Respiratory Mask Fit
RPQ014.510 Process Pregnancy Declaration

If you have a specific qualification to perform such tasks, are they obtained
via OJT/TPE, Lab Eval, Simple Task (no formal qual required)? The
qualifications include classroom training, OJT/TPE.

Cook "has always" performed OJT/TPE for these two tasks, but we are considering
making them a Lab Eval or even just a simple task, acknowledging that we have a
pretty detailed procedure for both activities.

The DNP initiates missed the specialty qualifications for Dosimetry,
Instrumentation, and Respiratory. In fact a RPT that has been specialized for
any significant time will have a difficult time being included in the list of
RPTs available to work, because they may not have the high risk work coverage
qualification, of when they had it, it was so long ago that it doesn't count.
For outages, we have to rely on TVA retires to fill these positions, or we have
to bring in very qualified and experienced RPTs in Dosimetry functions, but
spend 2 to 3 weeks to complete the OJT / TPE and that is only if we are able to
get some record of similar class room work being completed. But heck that is
where the industry is going isn't it. I had a site VP tell me a few years ago
when the Dosimetry group was gutted to two technicians that we didn't need even
the two technicians. We only needed to contract a RPT to come in twice a year
to issue dosimetry for a 3 week period or total of 6 weeks. He told me that was
how a plant he visited did it. I remember telling him I didn't see how that was
possible. I was invited to that plant a few months later and asked and was
shown that what this VP believed was completely inaccurate, as the Dosimetry
staff at that plant was actually 9 individuals.  I could see how that VP came
to that conclusion as what workers and visitors saw was really one room. They
didn't see what work was done across the hall behind closed doors. That's the
value in benchmarking, you can see what you want to see. As we all know Dose
and reporting of Dose makes up close to ½ to 2/3 of the regulations.  I like
seeing where Cook is headed. I am mentioned going that direction within TVA,
but so far no one is receptive to that type of change yet.

I appreciate your replies,

[cid:image001.png@01D52CA8.B1ECED40]