The default configuration for EVENT_DAEMON_START is "ignore".  This
means that anything not handled by the front end will not be properly
configured when powersaved starts.  In my case, while the brightness
is set correctly by kpowersave, the power management of my disk drive
is not configured to the level specified in the performance schema
even though I started powersaved when my laptop was on AC power.

To verify the behavior, stop powersaved, hdparm -B 1 /dev/hda, verify
with hdparm -I /dev/hda, start powersaved, verify with hdparm -I
/dev/hda.

Changing EVENT_DAEMON_START to "reread_cpu_capabilities" resolves the
issue.

                                                -andre.