Greetings,

On Feb 19, 2024 at 06:41 +0800, Roberto Arturo Gonzalez Godinez
<robglez...@proton.me>, wrote:
> Prior upgrading to OpenBSD 7.4 on my powerbook G4 I did see that there
> where a couple of webkit based browsers ports such as vimb.
>
> It seems that vimb no longer available, but I did not look to find the
> reason as of why it was possibly removed. (It is still present on 7.3)

OpenBSD has a pretty non-transparent system here, but I guess the port can be
restored trivially, locally first, and then in the master.

I am not really keen on building a browser on G4 though, and so far I could not
get OpenBSD working on G5 (fragile installation, kernel panic, freezes). If it
works, I will try.

Anyone knows why Chromium does not build? V8 in the master has a broken PowerPC
code, but I have the build fixed on macOS ppc (notice, it builds, but does not
yet work: I suspect ABI should be fixed, and it is a non-trivial task; however,
for ELF systems this may not be a problem).

If OpenBSD supported ppc64, that would solve the issue with V8 (almost, not
completely, since VSX code should be made conditional, upstream totally messed
that up). But AFAIU, ppc64 is broken with OpenBSD officially (on a side note,
it is broken de facto with FreeBSD too, despite being supported on paper).
> I was poking around with the idea of running a recent Firefox version on
> AIX and I was told that apparently there are recent versions of Firefox
> for Solaris. So, with a bunch of work, running Firefox on BE and on
> other UNIX's is possible.

Firefox needs Rust, unfortunately, and that is likely to be broken, until
mrustc is able to bootstrap modern-enough Rust and we fix it for PowerPC, and
gcc backend is implemented.
Or until gccrs is usable in real-life applications (it builds and even passes
the test suites on ppc, last time I tried).
>  guess that it's lack of interest, resources and possibly hardware to
> port a recent version of Firefox on macppc OpenBSD. Building Firefox
> on an older PowerPC box sure will be long.

TFF or Palemoon take about 3 hrs on the G5 Quad, I think. Palemoon does not
work yet, but it builds.
There are hopes we get it running: https://github.com/dbsoft/White-Star/issues/2
> As Florian pointed out, Netsurf does work well for simple websites.
AFAIK, this is not a meaningful option. I meant something which supports html5
and modern web.
> I guess that you could ask Landry for more information on the status
> of Firefox on PowerPC (He is the maintainer of Firefox).
>
> I would of liked to help, but I no longer have the time to contribute.
> Are you planning to help building Firefox for OpenBSD macpp?
Well, if the question is just running the build, sure. It is not something I
can fix on my own, perhaps, though. We struggle even with MacOS for quite some
time, and that stuff is at least familiar.

Provided Palemoon is made to work on macOS ppc, I could try porting the build
to OpenBSD.