hi,

> Check out my paper from PPIG 2006:
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/abegel/papers/ppig-naming.pdf

Thanks, I just skimmed it. I probably haven't explained well at all
what I had in mind. I searched for "bug" and "error" with no hits. It
so far appears to me to be a review of how naming is used; doesn't get
into the resulting impacts of those uses and choices.

Now that I think about it, I guess the sort of thing I have in mind
is: has anybody somehow managed to study a bug database and the fixes
and figure out %ages of what caused the bugs, and if it is possible to
figure out that naming was a problem, how much was due to problems
with naming? I guess it would be quite hard to tease it out.

Presumably naming hasn't caused Arianne to crash or anything like that
(http://www.sans.org/top25-software-errors/) so I'm really probably
only ranting about my own little pet peeve. Apologies.

sincerely.

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).