As part of our larger project on API Usability, we have studied the issue of
naming of methods, classes and parameters. It can definitely have a
measurable impact.

At one point, we tried to design an experiment to test the hypothesis that
there was a "sweet spot" in terms of the length of the name -- not too short
and not too long, but we never were able to separate the length from the
semantics of the words. However, we did report on names that were clearly
too long in the SAP eSOA API.

And we identified naming as a key aspect of the design that an API designer
must take into account in our taxonomy of design issues.

Another study showed that people often navigate an API by guessing names
first, and you should reserve the most general name (like "File") for
classes that people actually use, instead of the current common practice of
using the general name for an interface or top-level class that is never
actually used, except as a superclass for what people actually are supposed
to use.

These results are not collected in one place, however, and are distributed
throughout our papers. References for the papers that report on all of these
are here:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~NatProg/apiusability.html

Brad Myers