Huw,

If you're interested in 'higher level functions', I can commend vol. 4 of
the collected works of L.S. Vygotsky (The History of the Development of
Higher Level Functions).  You will not find all the answers here, but you
will find a promising way of thinking about the problems and how to study
them.

I'm not sure if there is a strong connection between the collected
works of somebody who died in 1934 and the current discussion.

Books that I found useful include:

Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook,
by Michael Eysenck and Mark T. Keane
and
Cognitive Psychology and its Implications
by John Anderson

Best,
Huw