Afternoon Daily, Mumbai

INDONESIATuesday, August 17, 2004 11:15:22 IST
It’s national day, today
IT'S the Indonesian national day today and our good
wishes go out to Rahardjo Mustadjab, the consul
general of the Republic of Indonesia, a genial man
with a talent for solving the Mensa puzzles that
appear on this page every Monday. He visited us last
week for a cup of coffee. We were conscious that
Rahardjo came from Java in Indonesia which is known
for its good coffee. And we offered him South Indian
filter coffee with trepidation which he readily
accepted. Two-and-half years in Mumbai has made
Rahardjo adapt quickly to most things Indian.He talked
about Java, his Java, clearing our doubt about the
motorcycle with the same name that he said came from
Czechoslovakia and not Indonesia. He's been in the
foreign service for 27 years and came to Mumbai from
Jakarta. This, sadly, will be his last posting.
Rahardjo is due for retirement at the end of the year.
He has no idea what he will do after this. He did give
some thought to a consultancy for trade fairs. But
there is still time. And he intends to enjoy Mumbai
until then.He is in love with Mumbai, this happy
Indonesian diplomat, he likes the secure feel of the
city. "Me and the wife can go about Mumbai at night
unafraid," Rahardjo explained. The wife is Teti, a
woman of Sumatra origin, and she is an Indus member in
Mumbai and active in social work. Their only daughter,
an industrial engineer named Niken, is married and
settled down in Dallas. Life is good to Rahardjo. He
is enjoying his work at the Indonesian mission in
Mumbai. Trade, cultural relations are growing between
India and Indonesia, he rattled off figures to show.
And he is learning so much about India from here.He
likes travelling around the country, he has been all
over Gujarat, Pune, Aurangabad, Bangalore, Chennai and
Goa. He is a Muslim, a practising Muslim, and he goes
every Friday to a mosque for the namaz. Rahardjo
wracked his brain to think of the name of the mosque.
"It is near the railway tracks, near Opera House," is
the nearest he came to it. And he is going to
celebrate another Ramadhan here this year. But before
that, is the Indonesian national day celebrations. The
reception is on Monday, August 23, at the Regal Room.
But today at the consulate on Altamount Road, Rahardjo
Mustadjab will raise the Indonesian national flag for
the last time in his diplomatic career.

,

[...]

all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/BRUplB/TM

Berdikusi dg Santun & Elegan, dg Semangat Persahabatan. Menuju Indonesia yg Lebih
Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi.4t.com

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Posting: [EMAIL PROTECTED]