Yale Univ woos Indian brains

A high-level delegation visits India with sizeable
scholarships and stipends for Indian students for the
academic year 2004-2005.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

BANGALORE: Dr. Richard C. Levin, President of Yale
University, America's leading research institution,
will be leading a team of high level Yale faculty and
administrators to India during the first week of
January 2005. The Yale delegation is scheduled to meet
senior central and state government leaders and
captains of the industry in New Delhi, Mumbai,
Bangalore and Chennai.

With the South Asian region gaining prominence in
global, economic and political affairs, India plays an
important role in Yale's internationalisation effort
to become a leading global university. In its
commitment to attract promising Indian students, Yale
plans to announce sizeable scholarships and stipends
for Indian students for the academic year 2004-2005
through its unique admission process.

According to Dr Levin, "It is our aspiration to still
be one of the world's best universities fifty years
from now, and the same will be achieved by excelling
not only in the humanities, the fine arts, the social
sciences and the law; but being among the very best in
science and technology. Yale has committed to invest
$1 billion in science and technology fields in this
decade and we strongly believe that students from
India can help us achieve our goal."

Yale has an impressive roster of distinguished alumni
in India who have been successful across the spectrum
of government, business, science and academia. Some of
the notable names are Dr. Rakesh Mohan, Finance
Secretary, Government of India; Indra Nooyi,
President, Pepsi Co.; Fareed Zakaria, Editor, Newsweek
International; and Ramesh Ramanathan, Director,
Janaagraha. Four of the last six American Presidents
have been Yale graduates. India ranks fourth in number
of international students currently pursuing studies
at Yale after China, Canada and Korea.

"We share historical ties with India as Yale got its
name from Elihu Yale, the 17th century Governor of
Madras. We were also the first institution in the
western hemisphere in the early 1840s to offer a
course on Sanskrit to our students," said Dr Levin.
"We look forward to our visit to India with a view to
further cement this association by leveraging our
strengths in science, engineering and medicine through
collaborations with leading Indian educational
institutions for the benefit of the Indian students,"
he added.

During the four-city visit, Dr Levin will be
delivering keynote addresses at various forums and
alumni events including a panel discussion on 'Beyond
2020: India in the Global Economy' where he will be
sharing the platform with Dr. Rakesh Mohan and Dr.
T.N. Srinivasan, Chair of South Asian Studies Council
at Yale.

The 12-member Yale delegation visiting India has
senior academicians from different faculties including
Linda Koch Lorimer, Vice President and Secretary, Yale
University; Dr. T.N. Srinivasan, Professor of
Economics and the Chair of the South Asian Studies
Council; Dr. Michael Merson, Professor of Public
Health and Dean of the School of Epidemiology & Public
Health; and Dr. Shyam Sunder, Professor of Accounting,
Economics and Finance.

CIOL Bureau

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;