Saturday, January 08,2005

How difficult was it to make it big in America?

LALITHA SUHASINI

Mumbai, January 7: Muhammad Majeed, a 23-year-old B.
Pharma student from Kerala left for US with $8 in
1975, and established Sabinsa Corporation in 1988.
‘‘My friends told me coming back to India would be my
biggest mistake, but I believed Bangalore had great
industrial climate,’’ Majeed said at the Global
Organisation of People of Indian Origin meet in
conjunction with the third Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in
Mumbai.

‘‘Today, I would ask NRIs to wait before starting
operations in Bangalore because it’s not conducive to
growth — there are terrible traffic jams and the
prices are escalating,’’ said Majeed, who founded
Bangalore-based Sami Labs in 1991, with manufacturing
units in Kunigal and Nelamangala, an R&D unit in
Singasandara and a corporate office in Peenya.

He is even looking at Uttaranchal, and plans to send a
research team to Chhattisgarh ‘‘since it has
unexplored natural resources’’. He also wants to
expand in Hyderabad and Tamil Nadu, besides setting up
a herbal farm in Maharashtra.

Sabinsa Corporations, which has its worth in $50
million in sales, started as a trading company in the
US for generic drugs like Ibroufen, and later
manufactured and sold standardised herbal extracts
like Gugulipid used in cholestrol reduction and
Boswellia used for treating arthritis.

But how difficult was it to make it big in America
which is fixated on Indian herbal treatments? ‘‘The
word Ayurveda was a tongue twister in 1991,’’ claims
the 54-year-old, whose company won its first Indian
National Award in Basic Drugs in 1995.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/O.5XsA/8WnJAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. www.ppi-india.uni.cc

3. Lihat arsip sebelumnya, www.ppi-india.da.ru;
4. Forum IT PPI-India: http://www.ppiindia.shyper.com/itforum/