Kalau Bill Farmer, yang sangat ekstrim kanan dan rasis, bener jadi
Dubes di Indonesia mungkin bukan hanya ditutup sebagian, tapi seluruh
ruas jalan kuningan untuk ke dubes Australia bisa jadi ikut ditutup :)

Sekalian mungkin yang mau klakson dan Demo ke Kedubes Australia, yang
ini ikut didemo juga. Saya setuju dengan Mr Joko Susilo kali ini, Mr
Bill mesti ditolak.

Rekan di Media Massa mungkin bisa membantu menyebarluaskan berita ini.

Ini adalah hak Indonesia, sebagai negara berdaulat. Toh Australia juga
pernah melakukan hal yang sama terhdap Jenderal HB Mantili (cmiiw)
ditolak sebagai dubes Indonesia untuk Australia, atas desakan media di
sini.

Salam,

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/07/16/1121455936361.html?oneclick=true

Indonesian threat to block envoy
By Philip Hudson
Political Correspondent
Canberra
July 17, 2005

The controversial plan to reward former Immigration Department head
Bill Farmer with the plum diplomatic posting to Jakarta faces
resistance in the Indonesian Parliament.

The Federal Government was in damage control last night after the
influential Indonesian MP Djoko Susilo, who sits on the Commission for
Security, Defence and Foreign Affairs, formally raised "deep concern"
about the appointment and said he could not rule out it being blocked.

Mr Susilo lodged his concerns on Friday with a delegation of Federal
MPs visiting Jakarta.

"I talked to the delegate of the Australian Parliament, Andrew
Southcott, and I expressed some deep concern with the possibility of
the nomination of Mr Farmer as the next ambassador of Australia to
Jakarta," he said.

Last night he also claimed there was a culture of intimidation and
rudeness by immigration officers against Indonesia and blamed Mr
Farmer. He questioned whether Indonesians could work with him.

"We have evidence the Immigration office under Mr Farmer unfairly
treated Indonesian officials," he told The Sunday Age. "Indonesian
delegations have been rudely treated by Mr Bill Farmer's immigration
people. This is the culture of intimidation, the culture of rudely
treating foreign dignitaries under Bill Farmer."

Mr Susilo said Mr Farmer's handling of immigration in Australia could
also harm his ability to be an effective envoy.

"At this moment we are not sure about his credibility. We want to look
deeper into Mr Farmer's background. We have concerns about the
controversy in Australia," he said.

The committee can block or delay diplomatic postings.

"We can block the appointment of Mr Farmer if we have substantial
evidence the appointment will be harmful to the relationship between
Indonesia and Australia," Mr Susilo said.

"We want to know that your envoy can reach out to the public at large.
We basically want to have a good person who can communicate with us
here in Jakarta."

Prime Minister John Howard shifted Mr Farmer out of immigration just
days before the release of the Palmer report into the wrongful
detention of Cornelia Rau and deportation of Vivian Alvarez Solon.

Dr Southcott, who chairs Parliament's treaties committee, confirmed Mr
Susilo had raised concerns. He indicated he would pass these on to
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer. Last night Dr Southcott contacted
The Sunday Age to say he had defended Mr Farmer to Mr Susilo by
praising Envoy can reach out to the public at large. We basically want
to have a good person who can communicate with us here in Jakarta."

Prime Minister John Howard shifted Mr Farmer out of immigration just
days before the release of the Palmer report into the wrongful
detention of Cornelia Rau, and deportation of Vivian Alvarez Solon.

Dr Southcott, who chairs Parliament's treaties committee, confirmed Mr
Susilo had raised concerns. He indicated he would pass these on to
Foreign Minister Alexander Downer.

Last night Dr Southcott contacted The Sunday Age to say he had
defended Mr Farmer to Mr Susilo by praising his record as a former
ambassador to Malaysia and PNG. "Jakarta is our largest embassy and we
only send our best people there," he said.'

Opposition foreign affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd said the controversy
could harm relations with Indonesia.

Subscribe to The Age for your chance to win a Margaret River escape*

-------------

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaileditorial.asp?fileid=20050720.F05&irec=4

Aussie ambassador to Indonesia

As an Australian citizen currently living in Indonesia, I share the
concerns of Pak Djoko Susilo, a member of the House of
Representatives, regarding the choice of Bill Farmer as Australia's
next ambassador to Jakarta.

Over the last nine years, the Howard government has consistently shown
little indication or appreciation of the importance that our bilateral
relationship has for the national interests of both countries. This is
evidenced through the absence of any interest in broadening the
relationship through enhanced people-to-people contact or in expanding
Indonesian studies and language training in Australia's education
system or in the broader Australian community.

Following the tsunami in Aceh last December, there was some evidence
and hope that the "penny may have finally dropped" for the Howard
government in regard to the importance of a deeper and mutually
respectful bilateral relationship.

With the appointment of Farmer, however, the rhetoric of recent months
appears to be just that, rhetoric. Putting aside the obvious
conclusion that Farmer is being sidelined in order to remove an
embarrassing political problem for the Australian Prime Minister, his
appointment will, I am sure, be widely seen here among influential
Indonesians as an inappropriate and insensitive choice.

Australian expatriates with whom I have spoken in recent days are
equally dismayed. Farmer has presided over, and is perceived to be the
"enforcer" of Howard government policies that are deeply unpopular in
Indonesia.

Indonesia deserves an Australian ambassador who is not only
professional and competent but can understand the nuances and feelings
of Indonesian culture and society. Indonesia does not need someone who
will arrive with unwanted and undesirable political "baggage". I hope
that the Australian government will review this decision and make a
more appropriate and considered choice for such a sensitive diplomatic
position.

CHRIS STEWART, Jakarta

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi