http://www.arabnews.com/?page=13&section=0&article=70254&d=18&m=9&y=2005

            Sunday, 18, September, 2005 (14, Sha`ban, 1426)

                  Be Quiet!
                  Fatimah Al-Faqih, Al-Watan

                  Some time ago, I was in the Holy Mosque, striving hard to
achieve tranquility of mind and soul, almost unaware of the male guards pushing
women away from the courtyard of the Kaaba. I went on uttering the prayers
until my soul felt rested. All of a sudden I was jerked from my prayers and
ordered to take a seat in a remote corner.

                  Complaining silently about the unjust treatment we women
received, I sat down inside the mosque, awaiting the adhan (call for prayer)
and watching the commotion among the crowd of women who were being pushed
around in the tiny space allotted for them near the Kaaba. I compared the vast
space men were given with the tiny enclosure where women were virtually packed
in. I began to consider a way to stop this rank injustice.

                  The following year I again visited the Holy Mosque. When I
entered the courtyard before the Maghreb (sunset) prayer, I found the male
guards sending women to a spot outside the circle of the Kaaba. I found out
that even the small space allowed to women near the Kaaba had been taken away
from them and given to men. I was very much upset by this blatant deprival of
women's ability to pray at a place close to the Kaaba.

                  On the other hand, the space within the mosque was
insufficient for the huge number of women present and by no means conducive to
a sense of tranquility and devotion. I felt that it was better for women to
pray at home while men were enjoying a very large space sufficient for each
pilgrim to lay down on their backs.

                  It was at that moment that I saw two female guards ordering
women pilgrims to remain within the small space reserved for women. They spoke
to the women pilgrims in a harsh manner, telling them to get out of the area
surrounding the Kaaba and go to the place reserved for them. I was amazed by
their behavior which was more aggressive than the male guards. One of them even
pushed a woman very roughly. She issued orders:

                  "O woman pilgrim, Go to that place!" "By God this is the
place for men!" "Let the men pray!" "Don't take the men's place!" "O woman
pilgrim, don't disturb the men who are praying."

                  I was so angry at the obvious injustice in her orders that I
stopped one of the guards and told her as sternly as I could, "Sister, don't
you see the number of women and the small space given to them in comparison to
the large space which men enjoy. I daresay the men don't need your help as they
already are in possession of three quarters of the mosque. They monopolize
almost the entire place. If only you looked around and were a bit reasonable,
you would see that we women deserve more of your attention and help. If you
cannot help us, at least keep your mouths shut."

Give at-risk students the materials they need to succeed at DonorsChoose.org!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Ryu7JD/LpQLAA/E2hLAA/BRUplB/TM

Lebih Baik, in Commonality & Shared Destiny. http://www.ppi-india.org

3. Reading only, http://dear.to/ppi