http://thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesian-hero-budi-soehardi-in-cnn-spotlight/342927

November 21, 2009
Emmy Fitri

Budi Soehardi was recognized by CNN for providing shelter to 47 children at his
orphanage in Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara. (Photo courtesy of CNN)

Indonesian Hero Budi Soehardi in CNN Spotlight

After news about corruption at the highest levels of government and the
persistent poverty among the nation's masses, a story of an Indonesian man
being honored in a prestigious international television special heralding
everyday heroes brings some hope to his country's citizens.

Budi Soehardi, 53, has been nominated as one of CNN's Top 10 Heroes for 2009.
The US-based news network's Web site says that Budi, a former pilot living in
Singapore, and his wife, Peggy, run an orphanage looking after 47 children.
They give a home - and more importantly a family - to abandoned children and
those orphaned by the East Timor conflicts.

Bayu Krisnamurthi, after receiving a Blackberry message from a friend, said he
voted for Budi at once and felt a pang of pride upon reading the message.

"It's something to be proud of because he beat thousands of other 'heroes.' The
message from the nomination is clear - people appreciate real action. This
[message] is for the public and government officials like me to act, not just
talk," Bayu, the deputy minister of the Agriculture Ministry, said on Friday.

"What has been done by Budi may not be that spectacular in terms of the number
of people he helps, but it's real," he said.

Adeza Hamzah, Hotel Mulia Senayan's assistant director of communications said:
"I think it's about time that our country had a true hero who is acknowledged
by the world. Enough of all the corruption and turmoil that's becoming our
nation's emblem. What we need as a nation right now is a bunch of Budi
Soehardis to inspire all of us to do good in this morality malnourished
country."

Besides voting for Budi, Adeza took the time to forward the message to his
friends, asking them to join the cause.

Toto Sugito - founder and chairman of the country's largest cycling community,
Bike To Work - said that the country needed more news about its citizens doing
good for others so people can look up to them.

"There are a lot of unsung heroes who initiate and help their communities. But
their stories don't make it to the headlines or prime time so we can't
appreciate them. I hope that following this extraordinary news about Budi, our
media will present more inspiring stories for us to learn from," Toto said.

Meanwhile, Heru Nugroho, former chairman of the Indonesian Infocom Society
(Mastel), said the world has shown that Indonesians can excel and be counted
abroad not only through science competitions or sport matches.

"There are thousands of ways to stand up. Budi has shown us that helping others
to have better lives is a heroic act. I hope our state officials are aware of
[Budi's nomination]. They should be ashamed, stop bickering and start working
for the people."

"It would be intriguing to know him better. We need more people like him to
inspire us."

Dian Argarini, an official at the National Commission for Avian Influenza
Pandemic Preparedness, said: "It's extraordinary. It's a proof that Indonesians
are empathetic. Budi represents many other Budis whose work to help the needy
have not yet been recognized, let alone appreciated."

Initiated in 2007, the "CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute" is a TV special
created by the cable network to honor individuals who make extraordinary
contributions to help others. It is hosted by Anderson Cooper. This year's
award show will be aired worldwide on Friday.

Thanks to the rapid growth of Internet social networking, not only can TV
viewers nominate and vote for their heroes, but online users can join in too.
The voting closed on Thursday.

A blue-ribbon panel of judges comprised of distinguished leaders and
humanitarians who are themselves considered heroes, will select the award
winners.

Included in the panel are the Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan, author Deepak
Chopra, primatologist Jane Goodall, Nobel Peace Prize winner Archbishop
Emeritus Desmond Tutu and economist Jeffrey Sachs.