David Arnold writes:
 > I had my slides pretty well prepared, but adding in \pause's at after I was
 > finished adds extra space in places (sometimes after displays or
 > \begin{center}...\end{center} and other environments), causing of course,
 > material meant for one slide to move to the next, essentially jumbling the
 > presentation.
 >
 > Is there a way to prevent this?

You should make sure, that \pause is _directly_ adjacent to some text
(without white space), either after or even before it.
This may mean that you have to put it _into_ a display or the last
item of an itemized list.
One case where this does not work is a sequence of verbatim
environments, when you want to put a \pause between them, because it
would not help to move \pause into one of these environments.

Updating would not help currently.
        Klaus
--
        Klaus Guntermann        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        FG Systemprogrammierung, FB Informatik, TU Darmstadt