Steffen,

I think I submitted two patches to this list, one which added a
\xspace at the end of the \pause macro. After further testing, I would
recommend that you do not use the \xspace; I found it creating some
spacing problems. The \pause I use now is:

\def\pause{\@ifnextchar [{\pppp@pause}{\pppp@pause[]}}
%% now we need a section where % can be written to pdf files.
%% thus make ! a comment character
{\catcode`\%=11\catcode`\!=14
 \gdef\pauselevel#1{\pdfliteral{%pauselevel #1}}!
 \gdef\pppp@marker#1{\pdfliteral{%pause}!
       \color{pp4red}\vrule width 2truemm height 5truemm\hss ! the marker
       \pdfliteral{%esuap #1}}!
 \gdef\pppp@pause[#1]{\ifvmode!
\vbox to 0pt{\vss\hsize0pt\noindent\hbox to 0pt{\pppp@marker{#1}}}\else!hmode or mmode
\hbox to 0pt{\pppp@marker{#1}\hss}!
\fi}

The footer I use for my little slide class (based on foils) looks like this:
\pause\pauselevel{=1}%
\vbox{
\noindent\hbox to \linewidth{\box\@footleft\hss\box\@footcenter\hss\box\@footright}
}}

Note that the % at the end of the first line is important to avoid
getting extra space. You could replaces the \box\@foot... parts with
your own footer.

HTH

--