It should work if you provide the static library on the command line,
i.e. instead of using options '-static' and '-lcurl' use only
'/usr/lib/libcurl.a' and remove the '-static' option. This should link
libcurl statically, but the other libs like libc dynamically.

This assumes that you have installed the static libcurl.

Steffen