        Primetime on America's NewsChannel MSNBC
THE WEEKEND PRIMETIME NEWSLETTER
AMERICA'S NEWSCHANNEL MSNBC
Friday May 10th- Sunday May 12th, 2002

***HIGHLIGHTS***
        Let us take a moment and wish you all a "Happy Mother's Day!"  We've put
together a (twisted) theme weekend for you in honor of the holiday.  On Friday night
it's all about BAD GUYS with a series of our favorite "LOCKUP" programs.  Then, on
Saturday, we move on to BAD MOMS.  And, of course, we've got a little something for
everyone.  On Sunday night we premiere our "NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER: LIGHTS!
CAMERA! BUGS!"  If the creepy crawly things you see on the silver screen make you
shriek with delight, you'll love this show featuring the king of bugs, Steve Kutcher,
who's fresh off his latest gig as the 'spider man' in "SPIDERMAN."

FRIDAY, MAY 10
6PM
THE ABRAMS REPORT
Habla Espanol?  One woman in Florida can't and says she was fired from her job for
just that reason.  MSNBC's Dan Abrams examines the facts in this story.

7PM
HARDBALL WITH CHRIS MATTHEWS
Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jerry Falwell face off over Bush's foreign policy when they
play Hardball with Chris Mathews.

8PM ET
THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

9PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: LOCKUP: INSIDE JOLIET
Built from sandstone by inmates in 1857... Joliet Prison is one of the oldest prisons
in the United States. In January of 1999, a new prison administration came into office
with the expressed goal of taking back the prisons and making sure that doing "hard
time" meant just that. MSNBC cameras were allowed to capture -- first hand -- life
inside Joliet and see how these new initiatives work inside this legendary institution.

10PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: LOCKUP: INSIDE PELICAN BAY
Pelican Bay State Prison was designed to be California's new Alcatraz, a single
facility that would successfully isolate and contain the state's most dangerous
inmates. Instead, it has been plagued by violence and endless litigation. When this
jail system opened its gates to MSNBC cameras, we captured a first-hand look at the
living and working conditions for prisoners and guards alike. What we discovered was a
web of prison gangs; a segregated society on the verge of a virtual war. It's a world
where greatly outnumbered guards struggle to keep the peace. We show and tell the
story of one of the worst prison riots in American history, and explain the dangerous
dynamics of the prison yard.

11PM ET
THE NEWS WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS

12AM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: LOCKUP: INSIDE RIKER'S ISLAND
One of the most crowded jails in the country is at Riker's Island in New York City.
Its population is around 20,000.  Rikers is a jail, not a prison, which means most of
those incarcerated have not yet been sentenced.  In this documentary, we feature a
slice of life-- from feared gang members to troubled mothers and their babies... to
the busy bakery.

1AM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: LOCKUP: SURVIVAL BEHIND BARS
For the nearly two million men and women behind bars, simple survival can be a
challenge. But are the billions of dollars pouring into the system being spent the
right way? We look at some of the ways corrections officials are trying to maintain
order, from new Supermax facilities to surprise searches of inmates' cells and the
extensive use of solitary confinement -- sometimes for 23 hours a day over several
years.

SATURDAY, MAY 11
8PM ET
HEADLINERS & LEGENDS: SUSAN SMITH
She said someone abducted her two children, but she eventually confessed she strapped
her two kids into their car seats and let the family car roll into a South Carolina
lake. In this hour, the tragic story of Susan Smith.

9PM
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: A MOTHER'S CONFESSION
Is this the story of a new mom whose post-partum depression was so severe it drove her
to kill her own child?  Or is that simply the cover story of a desperate woman facing
a life in prison?

10PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: IS MY MOTHER A MONSTER?
It's a frightening thought for any parent... having a child become seriously ill.
Imagine then, that the parent (usually the mother) is actually to blame for the
child's mysterious sickness, in hopes of gaining attention for herself.  You may have
heard about "Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy."  In this program we show you the hidden
camera evidence that leads the investigation into several children's sicknesses right
to the parent.

11PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: THE ULTIMATE BETRAYAL
Aptly named, this program is about a mother's ultimate betrayal of her child.

SUNDAY MAY 12
8-10PM ET
***NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER: LIGHTS! CAMERA! BUGS!***       PREMIERE
If you're afraid of insects, chances are Steve Kutcher has had something to do with
it.  Hollywood bug wrangler Kutcher is also one of America's most outspoken insect
advocates. (who knew bugs had advocates?!)   Kutcher is the man who covered Richard
Burton's face with locusts in "Exorcist II," induced wasps to attack Farrah Fawcett in
"Extremities," and engineered a mass exodus of 20,000 bugs from a stomach wound in
"Fright Night--Part II."  Now he's completed the biggest job of his creepy career to
date: wrangling the spiders of "Spiderman."  Although Kutcher is the first to admit
that you can't really train insects, he's made them do all these things with the help
of hot air guns, fishing rods, and magnets.  Kutcher invites EXPLORER on a tour of the
home he shares with some 3,000 insects, including cockroaches, fruit flies,
tarantulas, and scorpions.

10PM ET
MSNBC INVESTIGATES: SPECIAL DELIVERY
Step inside the busiest maternity ward in America, where day and night the babies just
keep coming.  It's Dallas' Parkland Hospital where 16,000 babies are born every year!!!

**For the latest in the schedule go to: www.prime.msnbc.com

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received this MSNBC Primetime
Announcements
newsletter because you subscribed to it or, someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=22