> On 30 Dec 2015, at 03:12, Pascal J. Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 30/12/15 02:25, Pascal Costanza wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1) I believe package-local nicknames are very useful. Being able to use
>> abbreviations and avoiding conflict between nicknames from the use site are
>> just good ideas.
>>
>> 2) I don’t believe hierarchical package names are useful. That’s a Javaism
>> which just makes things too complicated (especially if they then also are
>> reflected by the directory hierarchy - beurk ;).
> You're saying that because there are only 1279 systems in quicklisp so it's
> still manageable as a flat list.  But wait a little with tens or hundreds
> more systems and packages!

No, I’m saying this although there are already 1279 systems in quicklisp. I
actually had to rename a library twice because my name choices clashed with
existing library names, so I understand the problem that people want to solve.
I nevertheless stand by my statement. (I have sufficient experience with Java
to know that this doesn’t help much.)

> Probably, you've never worked with a big source base with a directory
> hierarchy didn't match the naming scheme.

You shouldn’t make too many assumptions about other people’s experiences.

>> Also, I agree with Kenny that splitting libraries into too fine-grained
>> small little packages is not a good recipe for organizing your projects.
>> Lisp packages want to be big, and there is no major disadvantage in doing
>> so, and I fear that hierarchical package names encourage unnecessary
>> fine-grained splitting. That just creates visibility problems, and distract
>> from solving /actual/ problems.
> Agreed.
>
>> Basing package names on domain names provides the illusion that you have
>> unique names, but domain names come and go, companies change owners,
>> repositories move to different hosting servers, etc., etc., so they are not
>> as stable as one might think. If people use sufficiently long package names
>> that can then be renamed locally using package-local nicknames, that’s
>> sufficient, IMHO.
>
> Oh, you're right. Now I see the light.  I will therefore rename my
> com.informatimago.* package into 2915BB3ECC3D45029DBF41BD48508E2E.*
> And let's not talk about the 3 or 4 different CLON packages we have...

I don’t strongly object to hierarchical package names. If that’s what the
community wants, I’m fine with it. Package-local nicknames are more important,
though. I especially would be unhappy if hierarchical package names were
adopted, but package-local nicknames weren’t.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc.

;)

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza
The views expressed in this email are my own, and not those of my employer.