Dear all,

I am hitting a wall with the attached code in CL and C versions.  For those
interested, this is code lifted from Knuth's pages on random number
generation (https://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/programs.html#rng).

The problem is that there is a discrepancy in the "problem" loop between
the CL and the C and I cannot figure out why, although the culprit may be
that CL does not have "proper" 64 bits ints.

I am running on LW 8.x on an Intel Mac.  I have not tried on other CL
implementations/platforms. I compile the C code with clang (Apple clang
version 15.0.0 (clang-1500.0.40.1)

If you run the code, you will see that the discrepancy appears at 'j = 14'
in the loop.

What gives?

Thanks

Marco

--
Marco Antoniotti, Professor                  tel. +39 - 02 64 48 79 01
DISCo, Università Milano Bicocca U14 2043    http://dcb.disco.unimib.it