> It doesn’t surprise me that it’s not a “cleaned up CL” — isn’t it older
> than CL? Though I suppose it’s less ossified so could have evolved to be
> “newer.”

Hard to say, really.  While the original Scheme development was in the late
1970s and the CL standardization effort didn't get going until a few years
later, CL's roots are of course much older, and it was strongly influenced
by Lisp Machine Lisp which was under development at about the same time as
Scheme.  The situation is fuzzy enough that I think the best you can do is
to call them roughly contemporaneous, with some cross-fertilization,
notably in CL's lexical scoping.

I've never attempted any substantial development in Scheme, but have
wondered whether I were missing anything, so Attila's observation is of
interest.

-- Scott