> Bill, having run a small retail business I suggest that the
> heart of any system should be the cash register[s]

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

> - take a
> look at the low end of the various suppliers' networked
> ranges and check for computer connectivity features; at the
> very least you want to be able to upload the end-of-session
> summaries. You should be able to pick up figures for the
> income side of your accounts. For directly sold items (wine
> beer &c.) you also have stock control data, and even prepared
> items (meals) can be analysed to give reasonable ball-park
> figures to control any serious 'shrinkage'. I agree on
> Quicken / Quickbooks for accounts (if you don't issue many
> invoices QuickBooks is ott), you might even find a cash
> register that will interface with Intuit.

"ott" ?

I'm keeping an eye out for canned solutions. As mentioned, I'm highly
skeptical about getting involved with any development work at all for a
single business. I see that approach as nothing but trouble. I recall
working on Avis Rent A Car systems years ago, and all the trouble they
went through to design was amounted to a POS system for rental agents.

If I were Intuit, I'd build an end-user customizable touch-screen
product that allows a non-technical person (manager) to layout touch
screen displays. This way the manager and staff can get involved and put
the hours into deciding what needs to go where.

Bill

>    hth

Yes!