We use a service called Postini. It has been an incredible filtering tool. It filters about 70 % of our e-mail out, quarantines some ~ 9%, and the rest is legitimate. We've been using it for about a year and I've had two spams get through and one e-mail get quarantined that was legitimate. This is a pretty amazing success rate, and is much better than what I had gotten with Spam assassin and other free tools.

I know this doesn't answer your question about mail addresses on webpages, but this was our general solution to spam. I can post my e-mail address anyhwhere (not this one, my work e-mail), and even though I may get spam, the impact is off our servers and we never actually receive it.

Plus, as long as you stick with their services, MX record changes are nonexistant, so servers can change without a hiccup in services.

Justin

Profox wrote:

I would use an email obfuscator.

Hey, Jim - - -

I have had the feeling (but without any way to confirm it) that the spammers are catching up with the obfuscation trick. I also think they are getting the DOT and AT technique. (Lately, a small amount of spam has been coming to this address, which I use only for ProFox -- I don't know where they would get it if not for Ed's archive pages).

Anybody else seeing this?

There are several ways to obfuscate. The DOT and AT
probably being too simple. Some obfuscators use ISO, others HEX, others a combination or custom javascript.
You can also create your own obfuscator.

We change our static ones out every month or so, but
in some cases we use an email form.

Jim Eddins