VFP's future has not looked good for quite some time. I don't think Microsoft will discontinue it, but Microsoft seem to have cut VFP off from the vine; hence, with each new release by Microsoft's new Windows desktop and Server OS, VFP will become more and more obsolete. Here is the pattern:

1) Microsoft refused to extend VFP table capacity beyond its 2 gig limit, when Microsoft originally acquired VFP.

2) Microsoft dropped support of ODBC support for VFP, as of VFP 7, when it adopted its OLE DB driver. This occurred even though ODBC was faster than OLE DB and even though ODBC was the industrial standard used by all databases including DB2, MSSQL, Oracle, Informix, Sybase, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc. There was absolute no need for the change; except, to make the driver connection to MSSQL proprietary. This caused much grief with the need to update VFP cleint server applications that connected to the database of TCP/IP; rather, than NETBIOS.

3) As of VFP9, it is no longer possible to develop apps in anything less than Window 2000 or Window XP, even though VFP application conpiled on these platforms can be run under Windows 95, Window SE, etc.

4) Micorsoft has refused to port VFP to the 64 bit world of Microsoft's forthcoming Windows OS for desktops and servers. VFP will run on the 64 bit Window OS, but in an emulation, rather than a native mode.

5) Although current Intel and ADM 64 bit processors are produced to handle applications compiled in 32 bit in emulation mode, over time, as more and more new computers replace older modules, the 32 bit emulation will likely be dropped in favor of optimized 64 bit hardware and software, which leads me to believe that VFP will run worse and worse with each new release of hardware and software, much like MSDos transitioned from 8 bit to 16 bit to 32 bit, etc, eveutually leading to VFP obsolescence.

Regards,

LelandJ