On 8/6/06, MB Software Solutions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I look back at the past 4-5 years and see many clients just in a
"holding" pattern, not taking steps to improve themselves via modern IT
applications, but simply doing the absolute bare f*cking minimum (and
then many times BELOW that).

If you are in business and you spent $15k 20 years ago and you're
still running and the app is meeting your needs... you are getting a
good return on your investment.

If you don't need pretty fonts or dancing GIFs or XML compatibility,
you are doing well.

The owner has to determine when he is feeling sufficient pain to
decide to upgrade.

I don't see any good innovations at many clients in the past 4-5 years.

I haven't seen much good innovation in VFP since 7. Certainly not
enough to justify major rewrite.

What sort of innovations are you expecting to see, MB?

 I guess it's the old adage:  "good
enough"  and the fact that so many seemed to be turned OFF by IT and
think of it as a necessary evil line item expense.

IT can be innovative and entrepreneurial in some businesses and bring
in more money. In others, they are a cost center, a cost of doing
business. Too many IT projects over-promise and under-deliver.

I hope many of you find things different with your clients of the past
4-5 years.

Some clients are springing ahead with new stuff, others are happy with
what they have.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC