I use Rick Strahl's wwhelp to document my apps. What are you using?

John Harvey

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Bill Arnold
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:22 PM
To: 'ProFox Email List'
Subject: RE: Agle Programming

> What a load of crap. For most of this list a one man shop
> has to do it all. Sorry if your thinking that the actual
> owner would take this on in addition, but it's what you
> should be doing all along.  Does your Home Construction
> Contractor draw up the blue prints at the end?  I hope not.

I'm re-writing an FPD product, which was a re-write of the original
system written in mainframe assembler. By now the requirements and high
level design are etched in my brain <s>.

But I'm thoroughly documenting it, not anyway, but necessarily. First of
all, there are just too many pieces for me to remember it all in detail,
and the doc is a marvelous organizational aide. But also important: when
the product does ship and truckloads of money arrive at the door, I will
need to turn the work over to another programmer or even a team, so
that's more to the story.

My account of Royal Insurance was missing a piece, so that probably
wasn't clear. In mainframe-applications programming land, design specs
are typically fully worked out in advance, before work begins, so in
that context what I said wouldn't have made much sense. The missing part
was that I was a systems (versus applications) programmer, in a group
responsible for the care and feeding of the OS's on a bunch of machines,
so we weren't writing applications as such, but fixing, tweaking and
measuring the operating system and also some 'utilities' we wrote and
maintained for in-house things like managing tapes, jobs and printers.
In this context, it was still necessary to document what we did, but it
was often after the fact. That is, those were the heady days when the
systems programmers had a lot of free reign because mgmt didn't
understand them or exactly what they were doing, but because we all had
to be responsible, it was worked out where a tech writer would basically
follow us around and document what we were doing.

> ===========================
>
> I drew the plans to my house, then built it!

You make that sound so simple <s>.

I had a plan too, beginning with the features list as developed over the
years with customer input. Then I molded a screen architecture as an
prototype, tweaking and changing it a hundred times until I was
satisfied I had it right, and then the coding. At first I didn't fully
realize that "porting" from FPD to VFP would amount to a total re-write,
and that hurt, but I really like VFP so I did what I had to do. In
hindsight, I should have been more careful with class libraries, but
finally got the hang of it and will have to live with leaving some
maintenance work for the future.

Also very relevant is that I'm preparing a commercial product, and as
such it comes with a major amount of extra baggage in many respects. For
example, with lot of different users and environments, the chances for
problems to occur increases greatly. Since each and every problem is a
(negative) contact for both sides, a lot of code that would be 'okay'
for an in-house operation must be extra bullet-proof; diagnostics
gathering must anticipate many situations; maintenance must be
automated, and so on, and on.

Bill