Hal Kaplan <> wrote:
> [...]

There are two methods of creating a seamless uptime for your data.

You can create a cluster where multiple SQL engines are waiting for the
cluster to tell them who is running.  Those SQL servers are both pointing to
the same database on a SHARED data device on your network.

You can also turn on replication and have the SQL server dispatch data to a
different server anywhere in your organization.

Replication demands some switch between the servers when one goes down and
the other picks up.  You also have to determine how up to date your going to
make these separated systems.  Do you use snapshot, merge or transactional
methods for "replication" ;->  They each have their own + - lists.

There are quite a few vendors who are in this space to automate this whole
mess.  Price tags are large, and maintenance fees for them are almost as
profound.  You will be paying on the # of servers, # CPUs, that are part of
your environment.

Clustering does that for you with no loss of data, you do loose uncommitted
data when the switch takes place.  Clustering is free from M$, well as free
as that second server, OS, SQL license get.  But you do have to pay that
same price for EVERY method your going to look at.

Now Q about having both primary and backup on the same rack?  I know that in
my last gig I had that set up and did a logshipping through a crappy VPN
back to my business office.  Distance was only 10 miles, but bulk
transactions failed in the every 15 min push because data size didn't fully
copy over.  So watch out on those little aspects of covering your assets.

Stephen Russell
DBA / .Net Developer

Memphis TN 38115
901.246-0159

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided
missiles and misguided men." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/srussell/