From:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf
Of Hal Kaplan
Sent:   Monday, October 09, 2006 11:34 AM
To:     ProFox Email List
Subject:        RE: [NF] - SQL- Database Replication

=> -----Original Message-----
=> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Stephen the Cook
=> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 10:48
=> To: 'ProFox Email List'
=>
=>
=> Now Q about having both primary and backup on the same rack?
=>  I know that in my last gig I had that set up and did a
=> logshipping through a crappy VPN back to my business office.
=>  Distance was only 10 miles, but bulk transactions failed in
=> the every 15 min push because data size didn't fully copy
=> over.  So watch out on those little aspects of covering your assets.
=>
=> Stephen Russell

Uh, thanks for the Availability 101 course.  It was a good refresher since I
haven't been involved with that level of availability since 1981 when I was
involved in clustering Univac mainframes.

Back to "all your eggs in one basket:"  I still don't get the point or
sagacity of putting the primary and backup in the same rack, let alone the
same location.  Any type of catastrophe is going to wipe everything out.
Depending on site specifics, even some things that are less than
catastrophic can result in total loss.  How do you protect yourself when
everything is in one place?

HALinNY