On 12/19/11 08:57, Ted Roche wrote:
> Generally, an internet hosted service is going to be more reliable in
> a hosting center than a machine in an office closet. Internet
> connectivity ought to be available through separate backbones, and
> power should be backed up by UPSes and diesel generators. Developers
> still and always have to be thinking about backup plans, and
> rollbacks, and redundancy and disaster recovery.

This part of it, to me, is it's strongest appeal.  Backups, emergency
power, failover procedures, and the like are all taken care of by
someone else who is much more competent than anyone you're going to be
able to hire.  But we're really talking about Hardware-as-a-Service, not
Software.  RackSpace as an example.  If I were running a small-medium
sized company, I'd be looking into this hard.

SaaS has a different set of problems.
+ You don't need a business programming staff.  It's in the package.
- You get to take the software as it is.  Some customization may be
negotiable, but in general you've bought the package, and you get to
adapt your operations to the capabilities the 'Cloud' software
developers, in their infinite wisdom, have chosen to give you.

If you're way too small to pay for software development, then SaaS
offers a reasonable way to stay up-to-date.  But most businesses that
have customized applications do not wish they were still in QuickBooks.

Dan Covill