On 12/20/2011 3:37 AM, Alan Bourke wrote:
> Though you don't mind paying for individual support incidents as long as
> you're not hit for the back charges, I assume from that ?
>
> Bugs are one thing, but if you have no ongoing support contract, and
> someone from the software vendor has to spend a lot of hours
> troubleshooting a problem to discover that the issue is actually
> environment-related, who pays for their time ? Do you? Does Microsoft or
> the AV company that caused the problem? Does the software vendor ?

For some reason, this reminded me of Gene Wirchenko's story about fixing
a printer issue that took him hardly 5 minutes.  The client didn't want
to pay for Gene's expertise to handle the solution since it was fixed so
quickly.  Anyone else remember that one?

Alan's got a point.  There's much more time involved in R&D sometimes
that isn't obvious to the customer.

I hear what you're saying about support.  Here's what I do with my
customers to help "make it right:"  I charge them for 24 hours of
support at roughly 1/2 my regular rate.  At the end of the year,
whatever balance hours have not been used on support are then credited
to them toward NEW development.  So, they see it as a value whereby
they're covered in support AND they do not lose any money because at
least it buys them SOMETHING rather than something like insurance for a
person who never uses it.  It may not be as lucrative, but my customers
appreciate it and I appreciate the continued business.

--
Mike Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC