On 1/29/12 5:56 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> I am going to offer customers a month to month fee for using an
> application.  After a time of non-payment I want to disable the
> application until they catch up payment or decide not to use it any
> more.  I would like the application to call a key located on my web site
> that would return a status that would let the application continue or
> shut down.
>
> I thought I had read of someone here talking about that.  I think it was
> Paul McNett.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions on how to go about this.

I have such a system in place. I coded it from scratch. It works really well.
Not
only does it manage whether or not the license is valid, and refuses to run the
application in that case, but it also lets us centrally control access to
application
features.

Hint: Allow the computer to be offline by only requiring a check of the license
every
20 days or so. Usually, people will be connected and the license status can be
checked immediately. But sometimes the connection will time out (problem on
your end,
their end, or somewhere in between) and sometimes they are just on the commuter
train
with no Internet. Don't make them want to throw their computer at you. :)

Paul