=> -----Original Message-----
=> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Charlie Coleman
=> Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:37
=> To: ProFox Email List
=> Subject: RE: DBF() and GETFILE() no respecters of case
=>
=> At 09:49 AM 10/17/2006 -0400, Hal Kaplan wrote:
=> >Filenames are not case-sensitive. a.b is exactly the same
=> as A.B or a.B
=> >or A.b , etc.
=>
=> They are in Unix systems
=>
=> >We are talking about cosmetics here.  The OS would actually
=> run faster
=> >and be less intrusive if filenames were case-sensitive
=> because all the
=> >"normalizing" that takes place would be eliminated.
=> Filename-intensive
=> >apps would run quicker too.
=>
=> I'm not talking about cosmetics. I'm talking about function.
=> The file ThisIsCrap.ms should be opened even if it is
=> referenced as THISISCRAP.ms.
=> Having 1 file named Thisiscrap.ms and another allowed to
=> exist (in same
=> directory) named ThisIsCrap.ms is ridiculous. It'll trip up
=> users often, and professionals frequently.
=>
=> I agree that case-sensitive probably processes faster
=> because the OS didn't take the time to 'normalize' (e.g.
=> uppercase/lowercase) the file name request. But, IMO, that's
=> one of the things the OS should do.
=>
=> >Actually, changing to case-sensitive filenames at this
=> point in time
=> >would be consistent with M$'s practice of arbitrarily
=> changing things.
=>
=> Very true. I think MS may already be part way there on XP
=> (original thread was about some filename thing between VFP
=> and the OS?) Why the heck are we supporting MS again? We're
=> about as 'dumb' as case-sensitive filenames.....
=> Oh well, if we were over in the Linux world, I guess we'd
=> still be saddled with stupid case-sensitive filenames.
=>
=> -Charlie

I am fully aware of the case-sensitivity in Unix and many other OSes.  I was
trying to make a distinction between true case-sensitivity and cosmetic.

The business about confusing users is a canard.  They learn quickly to become
case sensitive users.  It's no different than driving a car with a manual
transmission.  After a while it becomes automatic.  People do not like changes
but they have an overwhelming desire to survive and if survival means change,
they will accept the changes and live with them quite nicely.

HALinNY